VERY PRODUCTIVE: State of North Dakota sets records for both oil and gas production
108,258 barrels of oil produced daily, a record high
Call the burly U.S. State as the little state that could - oil and natural gas production were at a record high there this past summer, with the number of wells currently producing both oil and natural gas reaching a record high for July, state resource officials say.
Altogether, there were 9,322 wells in production during July, an all-time high, according to the North Dakota Industrial Commission of the Department of Mineral Resources.
The rig count decreased from June to July, Lynn Helms, director of the NDIC says, but the number of wells completed increased from 102 to 251, leading to an increase in oil production in the state.
Output growth picks up pace every summer in North Dakota when warm weather allows for more drilling and completion work. "A lot of (fracking) crews sat idle in May and June because it was wet and they couldn't get frack sand to the wells," Helms said.
But more than a hundred wells were completed - fracked and connected to gathering lines - once the weather cleared at the end of June, he said.
Still, nearly 460 wells were awaiting completion in July as companies continue to use a more efficient drilling method called pad drilling that is adding wells faster than they can be fracked.
The NDIC said July oil production was 108,258 barrels per day, a record high. A record for natural gas production was set at 970 million cubic feet per day.
Parts of North Dakota may contain as much as 7.4 billion barrels of oil and 6.7 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, the U.S. Geological Survey estimates. The state is only in the No. 2 spot behind Texas in terms of production of natural resources in the United States.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Very first book printed in U.S. sold at auction for record-breaking $14 million
- WAS IT A LIE? Family says they DID tip gay server, despite Internet story
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?