Indiana says ObamaCare will increase individual insurance plan rates by 72 percent
Costs for individual plans to increase from an average of $255 per member per month in 2012 to $570 in 2014
According to the Indiana's insurance department, under President Barack Obama's healthcare overhaul, i.e. "ObamaCare" insurance rates will increase 72 percent for those with individual plans and eight percent for small group plans.
Costs for individual plans are expected to increase from an average of $255 per member per month in 2012 to $570 in 2014, when the most aspects of the law go into effect.
"This new data regrettably confirms the negative impact of the Affordable Care Act on the insurance market in Indiana," Chief Deputy Commissioner with the Indiana Department of Insurance Logan Harrison says. "The Affordable Care Act requires many Hoosiers to purchase more comprehensive and more expensive health insurance than they may want or need. These rates call into question just how affordable health insurance will really be for many Hoosiers."
Costs for individual plans are expected to increase from an average of $255 per member per month in 2012 to $570 in 2014, when the most aspects of the law go into effect, Harrison warns.
The increased costs of individual plans will only impact the people buy insurance on their own, about 200,000 people right now, Harrison said. About 70 percent of Indianans get their insurance through their employers.
The insurance department's figures don't take into account federal subsidies that many people will receive on the new health insurance exchanges for individuals. Even worse, those who earn 100 to 400 percent of the federal poverty level will be eligible for subsidies.
According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, a family of four with a household income of $80,000 would receive a tax credit of about $2,269 to help cover the cost of individual insurance.
Harrison said the insurance department looked at the raw rate increases because Indianans will pay for them whether through tax dollars or directly from their own pockets.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?