But Twinkies get smaller and America loses its mind
Smaller Twinkies are the topic of the day.
There's a lot to talk about as a nation today, but despite all of the worthy news and concerns, there is one topic that is lighting up Twitter and Facebook feeds today. Twinkies are back, and they're smaller than before.
ALL THE RAGE: The new Twinkies box reveals the snacks have a net weight of 13.58 oz, down from a larger 15 oz.
The new manufacturer of Twinkies, Hostess Brands LLC, is selling 10 of the golden, creamy, sponge cakes in a 13.58 oz box, down from the 15 oz box of before. The downsize was made to reduce the cost and calories of each snack, and was actually performed just before Hostess Brands shut down last year.
Twinkies are as American as practical jokes.
These facts has Twitter alight with comments. CNN.com picked out two tweets and shared them on their CNN Money page.
"So Twinkies are back, BUT THEY'RE NOT THE SAME SIZE, WHAT THE CRAP HOSTESS?!" tweeted Zack Ferguson.
"Apparently making 'the sweetest comeback in forever' takes a toll on your size," tweeted David Proper, referring to the company's new advertising slogan.
In a final change, a new blend of ingredients preserves the familiar taste while increasing the shelf life of each box from 26 days to 45.
Americans are easily distracted these days.
That particular factoid should be its own news article, but in reality, America has much bigger problems than the quality and size of its junk food portions.
We have already shared our laundry list of complaints, the many greater issues confronting Americans. It's not so much that we have these problems. It's not that we have a government that is attempting in every way to overstep its boundaries and expand its power and control. It's not that the left has succeeded in destroying life and life-giving institutions, such as marriage.
It's that we spend our breath and money on outrage over Twinkie size when perhaps we should spend it on more important issues.
Really, stop and think about it between both of the cream-filled golden sponge cakes you're going to enjoy today, it's worth the thought.
Freedom and Twinkies are great American traditions. At least we got the Twinkies back.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?