Long-lost document signed by Abraham Lincoln found at Pennsylvania college
Retiring president found document while cleaning out closet
As he was cleaning out his closet at Lycoming College, retiring president James Douthat came across an aged and yellow document. The 150-year-old document was a certificate signed by none other our sixteenth president, Abraham Lincoln. A remarkable find, Douthat said that he was aware that the document was lying around somewhere in the Pennsylvania college - but that he had never really looked for it.
College officials plan to store the document in the college archives until they decide where it should be permanently placed.
Douthat said that he was vaguely familiar with the history. "In the back of my mind, I remember hearing about it," Douthat told the Associated Press.
The document is in surprisingly good condition. Douthat said that he "recognized Lincoln's signature immediately."
According to autograph brokerage the Raab Collection, a similar certificate signed by Lincoln recently sold for $11,000. A preliminary appraisal on the particular certificate found at Lycoming revealed that it is worth about half that amount.
For the college, the real value the certificate holds is its connection with the founder of the college, Benjamin Crever.
John Brinsfield, a U.S. Army Chaplain Corps historian emeritus, says that Crever served at a military hospital between 1862 and 1865, when the battles of Antietam and Gettysburg occurred.
College officials plan to store the document in the college archives until they decide where it should be permanently placed. Associate dean and library director Janet McNeil Hurlbert says that from this point forward, "We will know exactly where it will be from now on."
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?