SANTA MONICA RAMPAGE: Suspected college shooter that left two men dead set fire to home, tried carjacking
Suspect now in custody after being shot and wounded by police
The suspect in the shootings at Santa Monica College in California is now in custody after being shot and wounded by police.
The suspect then fled to the library, where he wounded by police and taken into custody, sources say.
The California Highway Patrol said it received reports of shots fired at 11:55 a.m. at the corner of 17th and Pearl streets on the south side of the Santa Monica College campus. Shootings occurred in "multiple locations," according to various sources.
Highway Patrol Officer Vince Ramirez told newspaper reporters that one suspect is in custody. Officers are trying to determine if there was a second shooter.
At around 1 p.m., six sheriffs just ran into a parking lot at 17th Street and Pico Boulevard with guns drawn. A car with bullet holes was visible in one college lot.
Coincidentally, U.S. President Barack Obama was in the area for a fundraiser. Sources said the shooting appears to be unrelated to his visit.
"We are aware of the incident and it is not impacting the visit. It's a local police matter at this point," Secret Service spokesman Edwin M. Donovan said.
A staff member at the college superintendent's office said the whole campus was on lockdown, including her office -- which she said was off site. "We've been told that there was a shooting," said the employee, Lety Kilian said.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Brothers in Arms: St Benedict and St Francis.
- Polish Bishops and Pope Francis Expose the Gender Identity Movement
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?