SANTA MONICA RAMPAGE: Suspected college shooter that left two men dead set fire to home, tried carjacking
Suspect now in custody after being shot and wounded by police
The suspect in the shootings at Santa Monica College in California is now in custody after being shot and wounded by police.
The suspect then fled to the library, where he wounded by police and taken into custody, sources say.
The California Highway Patrol said it received reports of shots fired at 11:55 a.m. at the corner of 17th and Pearl streets on the south side of the Santa Monica College campus. Shootings occurred in "multiple locations," according to various sources.
Highway Patrol Officer Vince Ramirez told newspaper reporters that one suspect is in custody. Officers are trying to determine if there was a second shooter.
At around 1 p.m., six sheriffs just ran into a parking lot at 17th Street and Pico Boulevard with guns drawn. A car with bullet holes was visible in one college lot.
Coincidentally, U.S. President Barack Obama was in the area for a fundraiser. Sources said the shooting appears to be unrelated to his visit.
"We are aware of the incident and it is not impacting the visit. It's a local police matter at this point," Secret Service spokesman Edwin M. Donovan said.
A staff member at the college superintendent's office said the whole campus was on lockdown, including her office -- which she said was off site. "We've been told that there was a shooting," said the employee, Lety Kilian said.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?