Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
Forty-two-year-old mayor is of Jewish, Hispanic-Italian descent
Forty-two-year-old Eric Garcetti in winning the Los Angeles mayoral race has become the city's first elected Jewish mayor. His opponent, Wendy Greuel, was hoping to become the city's first female mayor. Garcetti, a former city councilman received 54 percent of the 337,000 votes cast; Greuel got the other 46 percent, figures from the city clerk's office show.
The new mayor is of mixed heritage. Eric Garcetti's mother is Jewish, and his father, Gil, the former district attorney whose office lost in the O.J. Simpson murder trial in the 1990s, is of Mexican and Italian descent.
Greuel called Garcetti to offer her congratulations. Greuel later posted a message on her Web site thanking volunteers and those who voted for her. "I may not have been able to break through the glass ceiling last night," the 51-year-old Greuel said, "but you sure helped me put a crack in it and because of your work, the next woman candidate in my shoes will crash right through it."
Controller for the nation's second-largest city, Greuel says she is "determined to continue fighting for all Angelinos, to cut waste and increase efficiency, and above all, to keep our streets and neighborhoods safe."
The new mayor is of mixed heritage. Garcetti's mother is Jewish, and his father, Gil, the former district attorney whose office lost in the O.J. Simpson murder trial in the 1990s, is of Mexican and Italian descent.
"I always felt myself to be Jewish and Latino very comfortably," Garcetti told the Jewish Journal. "Weekends were both filled with bowls of menudo and lots of bagels."
While Garcetti is the first elected mayor of Jewish descent, the Los Angeles Times notes that L.A. had an acting mayor for a couple of weeks who was Jewish. Bernard Cohn, an appointee, served briefly in 1878 after the elected mayor died. In addition, California had a Jewish governor, Washington Bartlett, in 1887.
Garcetti is also the first Los Angeles mayor who can accurately claim that he "commandeered a snowmobile at the North Pole while on a climate-change fact-finding mission and located Salma Hayek's lost purse in the frozen tundra," the Los Angeles Times reports.
Antonio Villaraigosa, the city's first Latino mayor in more than 130 years, is stepping down after eight years because of term limits.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?