Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
Now blind, Ron Poppo has since gained weight and has relearned to play the guitar
It was a horrifying ordeal that few think would actually occur in real life. Homeless man Ron Poppo had his face eaten away in a violent cannibal attack by 31-year-old Rudy Eugene before police were able to shoot and kill his attacker last year. Poppo, while blind following the attack, has recovered nicely and has taught himself how to play the guitar in the meantime.
Ron Poppo has declined additional reconstructive surgery and is learning to adjust to his blindness.
"I think he wants the world to know that he's not traumatized by this, that he's happy and grateful," Dr. Urmen Desai, Poppo's plastic surgeon at Jackson Memorial Hospital says.
Poppo first came to the world's knowledge as a craggy, sunburned, bearded man in a photo taken before he was attacked on Miami Beach's MacArthur Causeway last May 26.
Poppo now weighs up to 200 pounds and spends most of his day strumming his guitar, which he played during his youth.
Current photos of Poppo are horrifying - but he manages a smile anyway. Both eyes eaten away, there are merely sockets where his eyes once were. His nose is shown bitten off.
He's a wonderful person," Poppo's nursing assistant, Patricia Copalko, who sees him daily says. "I couldn't ask for a better patient."
While he rarely ventures outside his room, Poppo follows Miami Heat games avidly, she says. Hospital staff said he can remain in the Miami nursing facility "indefinitely." He has declined additional reconstructive surgery and is learning to adjust to his blindness.
Once a student at the prestigious Stuyvesant High School in New York, Poppo reportedly became homeless after falling into drugs.
Poppo's attacker, Rudy Eugene, 31, managed to gnaw off half of Poppo's face before police shot and killed him. Marijuana was found in Eugene's system. Police suspect other new, undetectable drugs were also present.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Brothers in Arms: St Benedict and St Francis.
- Polish Bishops and Pope Francis Expose the Gender Identity Movement
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?