Caltrans makes a prehistoric find - Ice Age bison discovered in San Diego
The bison is first of its kind found in the region.
Natural history buffs are very excited about a new find in San Diego. Caltrans workers near Pala Mesa, North San Diego, have apparently discovered the Ice Age remains of a bison.
This image of an Ice Age bison skill from the Denver museum shows how much larger the prehistoric bison were.
The remains are fossilized and appear to be about 200,000 years old. They are the first ever ice Age bison remains discovered in Southern California.
The remains have been transported to the San Diego Natural History Museum and are presently being cleaned and prepared for display at the museum.
The specimen's skull was remarkably well preserved with its horn cores intact.
The Ice Age bison stood about eight feet tall, about two feet taller than the bison of today.
These are not the first fossils discovered in the San Diego area by work groups. In February 2009 construction crews discovered tasks and skull of a mammoth while working in downtown San Diego.
Days later, workers found the skeleton of a whale underneath the mammoth.
Prehistoric discoveries are only rare in Southern California because of the urbanization there. However, the entire region was once well populated with prehistoric creatures especially during the last ice age.
Farther to the north, a massive San Joaquin Valley was once the site of an inland sea, and contains some of the richest also beds in the world.
Most of the fossils found throughout California date back between 3 million years up to more modern times.
Curators at the San Diego Natural History Museum planned to unveil the new bison within the next 2 to 3 months. In the meantime, workers will continue clearing the way dust and dirt from the bones so they have a more complete view of the skeleton.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Duck Dynasty and the GQ Interview of Phil Robertson: Rejecting Political Correctness
- Archbishop Nienstedt Voluntary Steps Aside After Allegation, Claims it is Absolutely and Entirely False
- Here Comes Polygamy: Utah Federal Judge Strikes Down Much of the Prohibition against Polygamy
- New York teachers make twice as much as those in South Carolina
- Abortion mill monster Kermit Gosnell gets 30 years
- Read the climactic open letter from Edward Snowden to Brazil
- 'SISTER WIVES:' Part of Utah's ban on polygamy struck down
- Religious Cleansing in the USA: Federal Judge Orders Mt. Soledad War Memorial Cross Be Torn Down
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?