Second Fortnight For Freedom Planned For June 21 To July 4
The second annual Fortnight for Freedom will take place from June 21 to July 4, and will consist of national and local efforts to educate Americans on challenges to religious liberty both at home and abroad. As with last year's Fortnight, the event will begin and end with a special Mass.
Archbishop William E. Lori of Baltimore, chairman of the USCCB Ad Hoc Committee for Religious Liberty, will open the 2013 Fortnight for Freedom by celebrating Mass at Baltimore's historic Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, scheduled for June 21 at 7 p.m. EDT
"During the Fortnight the Supreme Court's decisions on the definition of marriage will likely be handed down as well. Those decisions could have a profound impact on religious freedom for generations to come." Further details about the Fortnight can be found here.
The site hosts resources such as one-page fact sheets outlining current threats to religious freedom both in the United States and abroad; frequently asked questions about religious liberty, including quotes from the Founding Fathers, the Second Vatican Council and Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI; and a study guide on Dignitatis Humanae, Vatican II's document on religious liberty.
The website also lists sample activities already planned in several dioceses, an image gallery of photos from last year's Fortnight celebrations, as well as resources and recommendations for other local efforts, such as prayers for use in special liturgies.
Keywords: Archbishop William Lori, Cardinal Donald Wuerl, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, USCCB, Fortnight for Freedom, religious liberty, religious freedom, Founding Fathers, Second Vatican Council, Vatican II, Dignitatis Humanae, Baltimore, Basilica of the Na
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Archbishop Nienstedt Voluntary Steps Aside After Allegation, Claims it is Absolutely and Entirely False
- Here Comes Polygamy: Utah Federal Judge Strikes Down Much of the Prohibition against Polygamy
- New York teachers make twice as much as those in South Carolina
- Abortion mill monster Kermit Gosnell gets 30 years
- Read the climactic open letter from Edward Snowden to Brazil
- 'SISTER WIVES:' Part of Utah's ban on polygamy struck down
- Religious Cleansing in the USA: Federal Judge Orders Mt. Soledad War Memorial Cross Be Torn Down
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?