Jury reports it is hung on two counts in horrifying Gosnell trial
Judge sends jury back to deliberate more.
A judge has ordered a jury back into deliberations after they announced they were hung on two counts against Philadelphia abortionist, Kermit Gosnell.
Gosnell is also accused of third degree murder in the death of Karnamaya Mongar, 41, who died after being over -medicated during a second trimester abortion.
Gosnell also faces an assortment of additional sundry charges related to other illegal practices within his clinic.
Although the jury is hung on two counts, the situation suggests they have reached a verdict on the other counts. It is likely that if convicted, Gosnell, who is 72, will spend the rest of his life in prison. Although he is eligible for the death penalty, any such sentence would be largely symbolic given the slow pace in which executions are carried out in Pennsylvania.
For his part, Gosnell has maintained his innocence, saying the babies he murdered were merely demonstrating reflexive actions. How this can be is difficult to fathom. At least one baby was described as trying to swim in a toilet. And if the children were born dead, when why the need to snip their spinal cords after birth?
These questions likely lingered and Gosnell refused to answer them by refusing to take the stand in his defense. The defense, in fact, called no witnesses.
A verdict in the trial could be announced at any time.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Courageous Cardinal George Challenges Us to Use Lent as a Time to Take Stock of Our Lives
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?