Rare, pink diamond nets $39 million at Christie's auction
Both seller, buyer remain anonymous
An anonymous buyer at Christie's paid $39.3 million for a rare pink diamond once owned by Indian royalty. In a photo provided by Christie's, the rare pink diamond, nicknamed "the Princie Diamond," was sold for $39.3 million at auction in New York City.
The price for the 34.65-carat diamond was sold earlier this week to an anonymous buyer. The sale was the second-highest ever for a jewel sold at auction.
Both the seller and buyer were anonymous.
Discovered 300 years ago in the Golconda mines in India, it once belonged to the Nizam of Hyderabad, an Indian prince. The diamond was purchased at auction by the London branch of the jeweler Van Cleef & Arpels in 1960.
Its sobriquet was bestowed at a party at the firm's Paris store.
It was called "Princie" in honor of the 14-year-old prince of Baroda, who attended the party with his mother, Maharani Sita Devi.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?