Should you be allowed to file your taxes without a return?
TurboTax, preparers say no to automatic filing.
Your friends from the IRS would like you to be able to file your taxes in minutes, using the benefits of modern technology, however companies such as TurboTax have successfully lobbied against the innovation, saying the government shouldn't be involved.
All the hassle, and expense of tax preparation is gone.
It's known as "return-free filing" and it could save consumers some $2 billion annually in fees paid for tax preparation. It would also save hours of time, not to mention headaches.
So why hasn't it happened?
Professional tax preparers have lobbied Congress since the Regan Administration, to hold off on return-free filing. Intuit, the maker of TurboTax has led the most recent lobbying effort, saying the company "opposes IRS government tax preparation."
It makes sense, after all return-free filing would cost the company millions in revenues each year.
However, many consumers may not trust the government enough to file such forms automatically and others prefer the ability to maximize their returns by employing optimal tax strategies, which such automatic programs may not employ.
However, advocates for return-free filing say the automatic method could simply be optional, allowing those who do not want the hassle and expense to use the method at will.
The program is certainly feasible, and would save money, but distrust of the government runs deep across the United States, so it's unlikely that TurboTax will be shelved, no matter what happens.
Still, the lobbying has been effective so far and there seems to be no change on the horizon.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?