Authorities raid internet cafes, allege gambling - Los Angeles
Internat cafes are facing increasing scrutiny from local and federal officials.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office has seized over 200 electronic gaming machines from an internet café. Internet cafes have come under scrutiny as illegal gambling houses.
Internet cafes have come under suspicion as internet access is virtually ubiquitous. That individuals with home access to the web still spending time in internet cafes is itself suspicious. Authorities have recently discovered that many such cafes are not what they seem, and are actually operating online casinos.
On Tuesday, four locations were raided. Authorities did not say if further raids were likely.
Authorities say the most usual gimmick is to use the disguise of "promotional sweepstakes" in which players get "credits" to gamble away. Lucky players can earn up to $4,000.
Players are rarely lucky.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Very first book printed in U.S. sold at auction for record-breaking $14 million
- WAS IT A LIE? Family says they DID tip gay server, despite Internet story
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?