Authorities raid internet cafes, allege gambling - Los Angeles
Internat cafes are facing increasing scrutiny from local and federal officials.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office has seized over 200 electronic gaming machines from an internet café. Internet cafes have come under scrutiny as illegal gambling houses.
Internet cafes are under new scrutiny as many turn into online gambling dens.
Internet cafes have come under suspicion as internet access is virtually ubiquitous. That individuals with home access to the web still spending time in internet cafes is itself suspicious. Authorities have recently discovered that many such cafes are not what they seem, and are actually operating online casinos.
On Tuesday, four locations were raided. Authorities did not say if further raids were likely.
Authorities say the most usual gimmick is to use the disguise of "promotional sweepstakes" in which players get "credits" to gamble away. Lucky players can earn up to $4,000.
Players are rarely lucky.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Internet cafes, gambling, sweepstakes, raids, illegal
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?