Food trucks serving more than just food - Los Angeles
Police make 20 arrests for extortion of food trucks.
Apparently, food trucks in Los Angeles have been serving more than food to some customers. To some, they have been serving money. The LAPD says they have arrested at least 20 members of the notorious MS-13 street gang who have been extorting vendors for money.
Taco Trucks in the Hollywood area have been the target of shakedowns by the violent gang, MS-13.
There are 20 defendants, including four women and they are being held on bail ranging from $2 to $3 million each.
There are five others who remain under indictment, but their records have not been unsealed.
According to the records, the defendants would target smaller truck operators, typically those serving blue-collar workers. A yearlong investigation uncovered both weapons and drugs.
Gang members supposedly charged "rent" from vendors who sold food in territories claimed by the gang, and they were also forced to provide free food to gang members. The weekly rent was typically between $30 and $50.
If vendors refused to pay, they were threatened with violence including death.
MS-13 is reputed to be a particularly violent gang with ties to notorious drug cartels in Latin America. The gang is spreading across the United States, and has conducted operations as far away as the Eastern Seaboard.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: extortion, food trucks, Los Angeles, MS-13
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?