Vile ads on San Francisco buses denounced as racist, anti-Islamic
'Killing Jews is worship that brings us closer to Allah,' one ad reads
Anti-Islamic advertisements that will appear on 10 buses next month in San Francisco have been denounced by civic officials, Arab and Muslim leaders as offensive and racist. Paid for by the American Freedom Defense Initiative, the ads feature Osama bin Laden, the Times Square car bomber and the alleged gunman in the Fort Hood, Texas, shootings with quotes that the group links to Islam.
The American Freedom Defense Initiative plans to run these ads that show Islam is a homophobic religion in a predominantly gay-friendly city on buses. The group says it wants to show how Islam is a destructive force in today's world.
"These offensive ads serve no purpose than to denigrate our city's Arab and Muslim communities," District Attorney George Gascon says.
"San Francisco is a city that celebrates its diversity and hateful speech and discrimination against our Arab and Muslim communities will never be tolerated," San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee added.
Board of Supervisors president David Chiu was expected to introduce a resolution condemning the ads.
Similar ads have appeared on transit systems in Washington, D.C., Chicago and Portland, Oregon. The American Freedom Defense Initiative also ran similar ads in San Francisco last August and has also posted ads in New York City, including one in September that called enemies of Israel "savages."
Officials with San Francisco's Municipal Transportation Authority believe a First Amendment court decision protecting freedom of speech means it must accept the advertising.
The transit agency plans to give the $5,000 paid for the ads to the city's Human Rights Commission to study the impact of discrimination on San Francisco's Islamic communities and run its own ads against discrimination. The action was similar to what they did last summer.
Executive Director of the American Freedom Defense Initiative Pamela Geller says that the purpose of the campaign is to show the "reality of jihad and root causes of terrorism, from the words of jihadists themselves.
"City officials denounce our ads, but not the actual quotes from high-profile jihadists calling for holy war and genocide," she said in an email. "Our new campaign focuses on how jihadists use the texts and teachings of Islam to justify violence and supremacism."
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Islam, San Francisco, advertisements, American Freedom Defense Initiative
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- SHOCKING: Senator says IRS set to pay out $70 million in employee bonuses
- Agents think they'll find out what happened to Jimmy Hoffa - after 40 years
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?