Florida lieutenant governor tenders surprise resignation
Some speculate resignation over conflict of interest
Florida's Lieutenant Governor Jennifer Carroll tendered her resignation abruptly two days after Florida law enforcement officials questioned her involvement with a non-profit under investigation. While Carroll's sudden resignation came as a surprise, many speculate she stepped down due to a conflict of interest.
Florida's Lieutenant Governor Jennifer Carroll tendered her resignation abruptly two days after Florida law enforcement officials questioned her involvement with a non-profit under investigation.
"Carroll once owned a public relations firm that represented the organization and worked for the group during some of the seven years she served in the Florida House of Representatives.
"Hollingsworth said arrests were made on Tuesday in connection with racketeering and money laundering charges involving Allied Veterans of the World.
"He said Carroll had been interviewed by the FDLE regarding her work with the firm and had resigned 'in an effort to keep her former affiliations with the company from distracting from the administration's important work on behalf of Florida families. She made the right decision for the state and her family.'"
Internet cafes "have been controversial for years," as local law enforcement officials see them as "fronts for casino gambling."
Newspaper accounts report that the investigation into what it calls "a Florida Internet sweepstakes company" is a federal one. It was unclear whether Carroll herself is being investigated.
The Florida Times-Union has a bit more detail on the investigation into Allied Veterans of the World.
"Authorities say the group donated just two percent of its $290 million in proceeds to charities over about five years," the Times-Union reports. "They also say the former president received more than $1.5 million and the national commander got $250,000 from the organization."
As a Republican member of the Florida House of Representatives, Carroll introduced legislation that would have legalized the online gambling industry. She withdrew that legislation, realizing there was a conflict of interest.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Jennifer Carroll, Lieutenant governor, Florida, resignation, conflict of interest
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?