Los Angelinos reject tax hike amid apathetic turnout
Mayor's race to go into runoff.
Los Angeles voters went to the polls on Tuesday to elect a new mayor and to decide on an increase to the city's sales tax. Two mayoral candidates are headed for a runoff election and the sales tax measure failed.
Many of these stickers went back into storage Tuesday night.
Voters also appear to have rejected a sales tax increase that would have raised the city's sales tax to 9 percent, the highest in the state. Advocates say the sales tax is needed to prevent cuts to law enforcement and the fire department.
Turnout for the elections was poor with only a 16 percent turnout of eligible voters. Many are fatigued with elections, especially following the intense presidential election last November.
The new mayor will be seated this summer and face an immediate budget deficit of some $216 million per year.
Unfortunately, for voters, the runoff election means more campaigning and more fatigue leading up to the final vote.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Los Angeles, mayoral race, mayor, Villaraigosa, Eric Garcetti, Wendy Greuel
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Bridge that collapsed in Washington State was structurally unsound
- Gay youths to be allowed to join Boy Scouts: Controversy rages
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?