House of Horrors Abortion 'Doctor' Heads to Trial on Eight Counts of Murder
'I feel in the long term I will be vindicated,' he tells reporters
Dr. Kermit Gosnell, the notorious Philadelphia abortion doctor who ran a virtual "house of horrors" where poor and under-aged women could get late-term abortions is now headed to trial on eight counts of murder. Gosnell ran a filthy, subhuman clinic where the bodies of aborted children were kept in a refrigerator. "I feel in the long term I will be vindicated," Gosnell told reporters in a 2010 interview, a month after the federal drug raid. "I aspire to perfection, certainly for my patients."
Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams called Gosnell's blighted clinic where agents found baby body parts in glass jars and staff refrigerators, and patient rooms filthy and blood-stained - a veritable "house of horrors."
Gosnell, who has since pleaded not guilty, has long pretended he is some kind of medical missionary in the blighted neighborhood where he worked and lived for 40 years. His clinic treated the poor, immigrants, teens and women with late-stage pregnancies who could not get abortions elsewhere.
Many of these patients were left with infections, perforated bowels and other injuries after barbaric abortions were performed by untrained, unlicensed staff, according to numerous lawsuits and a lengthy 2011 grand jury report. Forty-one-year old Karnamaya Mongar lost her life there in 2009.
All but one of the nine clinic workers arrested with Gosnell has pleaded guilty, three of them to third-degree murder, which carries a potential 20- to 40-year prison sentence.
Unlicensed doctor Steven Massof of Pittsburgh told the grand jury that he used scissors to snip the spines of more than 100 babies born alive, working for Gosnell for a few hundred dollars a week. He pleaded guilty to third-degree murder in the deaths of two babies allegedly stabbed by Gosnell while Massof assisted with the abortions.
Gosnell's third wife, Pearl, a cosmetologist, pleaded guilty to performing an illegal, late-term abortion and other charges.
"Many times people have not been able to fully pay me for my services," Gosnell said. "As a principle, I have not refused to provide them care."
Gosnell made millions over the years, both from abortions and a thriving side practice where staffers allegedly dispensed his pre-signed prescriptions for OxyContin, Percocet and other highly addictive painkillers.
It's not clear if Pennsylvania jurors have ever been asked to send a man of Gosnell's age or occupation to death row.
"Dr. Gosnell is never going to get the death penalty," defense attorney Jack McMahon said early on, noting his client's age and the cost of protracted capital cases.
He certainly executed death sentences on women and children.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?