Welcome to the 21st century, Census Bureau to drop use of the word 'negro' on forms
Word is considered pejorative and few use it today for self-identification.
The Census Bureau has said it will stop using the word "Negro" on census forms. Coined during the Jim Crow days as a word to describe blacks, the Bureau has said it will drop the word from being used on its forms.
The current census form contains the word Negro. this will soon be changed.
The word has been on the forms for over a century, and very few black Americans still use the term. The Census Bureau says less than 50,000 people wrote in the word during the 2000 census when they were asked how they wished to be identified.
By 2010, the preference of the word dropped to just 36,000.
The term was first sued in the 1900 census, replacing the term "colored" at that time. rejection of the term came as early as the 1950's and 60's as the civil rights movement finally made progress. Today, most black Americans prefer the terms black, black American, or African American.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Census Bureau, Negro, pejorative, forms, change
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- The Storm. The Whirlwind. The Earthquake: Abortionist Kermit Gosnell is Guilty, America is Complicit
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?