Cardinal Mahony deposed again, did he leave for Rome?
Where is Cardinal Roger Mahony?
Cardinal Mahony has been deposed once again for his role in numerous child sex abuse cover-ups. His latest deposition occurred on Saturday with a marathon session that lasted over three hours.
Cardinal Mahony was deposed on Saturday. It is unclear if he has departed for Rome yet.
Lawyers say he remained calm and collected during the deposition. The most recent deposition was filled with new questions that arose from the publication of church records concerning pedophile priests.
Following the deposition, Mahony was scheduled to board a flight to Italy where he will attend a papal conclave and participate in electing the new pope following the planned resignation of Benedict XVI on Feb. 28.
Mahony has been asked not to attend that conclave by concerned Catholics who fear his presence will taint the election of a new pope. The former archbishop was presented with a petition containing the signatures of nearly 10,000 Catholics who were asking him not to attend.
The petition was organized by Catholics United.
Church officials have not commented on Mahony's deposition or his departure to Rome.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?