Cardinal Mahony deposed again, did he leave for Rome?
Where is Cardinal Roger Mahony?
Cardinal Mahony has been deposed once again for his role in numerous child sex abuse cover-ups. His latest deposition occurred on Saturday with a marathon session that lasted over three hours.
Lawyers say he remained calm and collected during the deposition. The most recent deposition was filled with new questions that arose from the publication of church records concerning pedophile priests.
Following the deposition, Mahony was scheduled to board a flight to Italy where he will attend a papal conclave and participate in electing the new pope following the planned resignation of Benedict XVI on Feb. 28.
Mahony has been asked not to attend that conclave by concerned Catholics who fear his presence will taint the election of a new pope. The former archbishop was presented with a petition containing the signatures of nearly 10,000 Catholics who were asking him not to attend.
The petition was organized by Catholics United.
Church officials have not commented on Mahony's deposition or his departure to Rome.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?