A list of what Jesse Jackson Jr. bought using his misspent campaign money
Could face sentence of 4 years or more.
Former U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. pled guilty in court today on charges that he conspired with his wife to steal away $750,000 in federal campaign finds to spend on his lavish lifestyle. He could face several years in prison.
The documents reveal that in January, 2006, Jackson opened a bank account under the name "Jesse Jackson Jr. for Congress" and in the year that followed he withdrew $43,000 for a Rolex watch. He also took $14,000 to pay down personal credit card debt.
He purchased a number of other items, which prosecutors listed.
-$60,000 on dining out, nightclubs and lounges
-$31,000 on airfare
-$17,000 on tobacco shops
-$16,000 on sports clubs
-$14,500 on dry cleaning
-$8,000 on groceries
-$7,000 on taxidermy
-$6,000 on drug stores
-$5,800 on alcohol
-$4,000 for a cruise
-$243 for a "Build a Bear"
In all he made about 31,000 personal purchases using campaign funds.
Jackson was caught in an FBI sting involving two elk's heads he had a taxidermist prepare. An undercover agent offered to pay $5,300 for the heads, and Jackson asked for the money to be wired to his personal account. This was the start of the FBI sting which eventually resulted in his arrest.
Jackson apologized as he left court today, and is now facing a potential sentence of about 4 years.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Very first book printed in U.S. sold at auction for record-breaking $14 million
- WAS IT A LIE? Family says they DID tip gay server, despite Internet story
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?