Catholics United organization urges Mahony to stay home from papal vote
Catholics United asks Mahony to recuse himself.
Catholics United has asked Cardinal Mahony to refrain from attending the Papal Conclave and to recuse himself from voting. The group has launched an online petition to ask him to avoid bringing further scandal to the Church by participating.
The group, Catholics United, is a non-profit, allegedly non-partisan organization. It has drawn up an online petition that asks, "Please do not bring further scandal to our Church that has already been rocked by the sex abuse crisis by attending the Papal Conclave. You have been disciplined and you have lost your ability to have a voice within our Church."
Catholics United has been notorious in some of its positions in the past, dissenting from the clear teaching of the Catholic Church concerning the Right to Life from conception to natural death and other moral teachings of the Catholic Church. It has also been cautioned over using the name Catholic by some due to these contrary positions and its questionable status as an organization which is authentically Catholic.
Archbishop Jose Gomez has already responded to the revelations by stripping Cardinal Mahony of all public duties. Mahony has been limited in his public ministry after apologizing for his role in the scandal.
Archbishop Gomez has also said that despite the embarrassment for Mahony, he does remain in "good standing" within the Church and is therefore free to attend the papal conclave.
Mahony has already said he plans to attend the conclave, which will choose a successor to Pope Benedict XVI, who said he is resigning his position as of Feb. 28. The conclave is expected to convene sometime around March 15, and could even convene earlier.
At this time, Cardinal Mahony faces no criminal charges for his involvement in the scandal and faces no formal impediment to traveling to Rome.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?