Addicted mayor gambled away $1 billion in charity money
Maureen O'Connor admitted to havign a gambling addiction.
The former Democratic Mayor of San Diego, Maureen O'Connor, has reached a deal with prosecutors to repay some $2 million in money she gambled away that was intended for charity.
Peterson is best known for establishing the Jack in the Box chain of restaurants and made a fortune in the hotel and banking industries. He left a sizeable part of that fortune in a charitable trust.
O'Connor, who had access to the money admitted in court that she has a gambling addiction. By her estimate, she gambled away about $1 billion in family money at casinos in the Los Angeles and San Diego area between 2008 and 2009. She is now destitute.
Her health also appears to be poor. Although only 66, she is frail and walks with the aid of a cane.
O'Connor, a Democrat, was the mayor of San Diego from 1986 to 1992, and built a reputation as a maverick. Prior to that career, she was a well-regarded swimmer and physical education teacher.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?