Disgraced Cardinal Mahony to help pick next pope
Next pope will have to deal with Mahony and his ilk.
Cardinal Mahony of the Los Angeles Archdiocese is back at work, just a week after being relieved of all public duties for his role in the child-abuse sex scandal. Archbishop Gomez relieved him after it was revealed that he personally tried to cover up the allegations of abuse and shielded offending priests.
Mahony praised Benedict, calling him "extraordinary" and saying that he looks forward to traveling to Rome. He posted, "I look forward to traveling to Rome soon to help thank Pope Benedict XVI for his gifted service to the Church, and to participate in the Conclave to elect his successor."
Mahony was soundly denounced by Archbishop Gomez saying "Effective immediately, I have informed Cardinal Mahony that he will no longer have any administrative or public duties."
However, it was clarified shortly afterwards that Mahony remained "in good standing" and that his powers as a cardinal remained.
In fact, Mahony may have no choice in the affair, as all Cardinals, under the age of 80, are actually required to vote.
For now, it appears the Cardinal will be going to Rome in a couple weeks and will join another 10 cardinals from the U.S. He should vote carefully. Whoever is the next pope is, he will be responsible for dealing with Mahony and those who have perpetrated and facilitated evil and abuse throughout the Church.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Courageous Cardinal George Challenges Us to Use Lent as a Time to Take Stock of Our Lives
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?