Judge delays Zimmerman request for delay on Trayvon Martin birthday
Trial set for June 10.
A judge has denied George Zimmerman's request to delay his trial further, on Trayvon Martin's birthday. Lawyers had requested more time to prepare for the trials set for June 10.
A judge has ruled that Zimmerman will have his day in court on June 10.
The judge, Debra S. Nelson, denied a defense request to delay the trial past June 10, so they could have more time to prepare. The defense said they would like time to depose additional prosecution witnesses.
The case has ignited passions around the country and has racial overtones. On Feb. 26 of last year, Zimmerman, a self-proclaimed neighborhood watch captain, confronted Martin who was walking through his neighborhood.
Zimmerman claims Martin attacked him while a 911 call placed by Martin suggests the young man tried to get away from Zimmerman before fighting with him.
In the fight, Zimmerman fatally shot Martin with a pistol he was carrying.
Trayvon Martin's supporters claim the killing was racially motivated.
The case will go to trial as planned on June 10.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Zimmerman, Trayvon Martin, motion, photo, defense, GPS, birthday
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?