Judge delays Zimmerman request for delay on Trayvon Martin birthday
Trial set for June 10.
A judge has denied George Zimmerman's request to delay his trial further, on Trayvon Martin's birthday. Lawyers had requested more time to prepare for the trials set for June 10.
The judge, Debra S. Nelson, denied a defense request to delay the trial past June 10, so they could have more time to prepare. The defense said they would like time to depose additional prosecution witnesses.
The case has ignited passions around the country and has racial overtones. On Feb. 26 of last year, Zimmerman, a self-proclaimed neighborhood watch captain, confronted Martin who was walking through his neighborhood.
Zimmerman claims Martin attacked him while a 911 call placed by Martin suggests the young man tried to get away from Zimmerman before fighting with him.
In the fight, Zimmerman fatally shot Martin with a pistol he was carrying.
Trayvon Martin's supporters claim the killing was racially motivated.
The case will go to trial as planned on June 10.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?