Dems pull cruel stunt to garner votes under guise of gun control - Denver
Absurd proposal is made more heartbreaking by enlisting survivor support.
Colorado Democrats plan to introduce a bill that would hold gun makers and sellers liable for damages inflicted by those who use them. However, the idea is poor and to make up the difference, they have proposed the idea while flanked by survivors.
This is similar to blaming a car manufacturer for someone's drunk driving accident.
The announcement was made with all the pomp and fanfare of a somber political rally with politicians cashing in on the Columbine, Aurora, and Sandy Hook shootings. Flanked by survivors, who were perhaps unaware they were being used as props, Democratic leaders claimed with serious faces that the plank was a sensible part of comprehensive gun reform.
There can be no objection to reasonable gun laws, but holding makers and sellers liable is so unreasonable that it is absurd. So absurd in fact, that it is a waste of time.
Unfortunately, they are using time and political capitol to advance their reelection by currying favor with an emotional electorate. We can hardly blame them.
However, we must. Comprehensive reform is acceptable when it is needed and our politicians ought to strive for it. However, planking ludicrous provisions into bills are nothing less than political theater designed to garner future votes.
Using survivors as props in political theater is disgusting.
If you wish to make our streets safer by reforming gun laws, then by all means, please do so. But at least have the decency to propose reforms that are sensible and don't hold up survivors as props for your theatrics.
It is unlikely that the proposal as suggested will survive the process, making it as much a waste of everyone's time as it is wrong.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?