Cash for gold shops facing tighter regulations - Philadelphia
States want a fair share the the revenue and police more efficient cooperation.
Cash for gold shops have sprung up all over America particularly in the wake of the Great Recession. As millions of people looked for extra cash, cash for gold stores proved profitable amid rising gold prices.
Cash for gold shops are popular places for thieves and those who are down on their luck. Across the nation tighter regulations are taking hold.
Now authorities in Cherry Hill and around the nation, are looking to close the loophole.
Many cash for gold stores deal locally, using paper records, making it difficult for police to track their activities. While those records have to be handed over to police upon request, the quick turnaround often means evidence is shipped away for destruction before it can be recovered.
New regulations proposed by the Cherry Hill City Council would change that, compelling all cash for gold stores to keep digital records and to report those transactions within 48 hours.
What's happening in Cherry Hill is also starting to happen across the nation as states want to make sure they get their share of the gold business, while helping police to catch thieves.
Secondhand dealers of both gold and other artifacts including pawn shops and antique stores, are being drawn into the 21st century as municipalities across the nation start compelling better records keeping and cooperation with police. Pawn and cash for gold shops are popular places to dispose of stolen property.
Hopefully they will become less so as controls improve.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: cash for gold, police, taxes
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- SHOCKING: Senator says IRS set to pay out $70 million in employee bonuses
- Agents think they'll find out what happened to Jimmy Hoffa - after 40 years
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?