Legally insane judge continues to serve, charged with assaulting court deputy - Chicago
Cynthia Brim is a judge despite using anti-psychotic meds.
A Chicago judge still sits on the bench, despite taking anti-psychotic medications and facing assault charges. Cook County Judge Cynthia Brim was legally insane, her lawyer argued, when she shoved a sheriff's deputy last year.
Judge Cynthia Brim continues to serve despite the charges against her.
Minutes later, she returned and tossed the keys back to a deputy, then pushed another with both hands. She was immediately handcuffed and arrested.
Her lawyer claims she was legally insane during the episode because she is required to take anti-psychotic meds. Brim has been hospitalized five times since her 1994 election as a judge, each time after going off her meds.
When not on her meds, she acts confused, irrational, and paranoid, her lawyer said.
Prosecutors say that despite her insanity it was because she made a conscious decision to go offer her meds and was therefore responsible.
Judge Liam Brennan agreed with prosecutors that Brim assaulted the deputy, however her mental state is still an issue in the case.
Brim was reelected last November to her seat as a judge.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Cynthia Brim, judge, psychotic, meds
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- The Storm. The Whirlwind. The Earthquake: Abortionist Kermit Gosnell is Guilty, America is Complicit
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?