Church corrects lawyers who claimed fetus not entitled to legal protection - Denver
Lawyers are defending Catholic hospital from wrongful death case involving a mother and her two unborn children.
Catholic Health Initiates and St. Thomas More Hospital have made an important acknowledgement, stating that it was morally wrong for their attorneys to present a defense that violates Catholic teaching. The attorneys claimed in their suit, representing the Catholic institutions, that an unborn child was merely a fetus and not covered under the law.
Lawyers have been corrected after making some rather offensive arguments about children in the womb while representing a Catholic hospital.
The lawyers are defending the hospital from a wrongful death suit brought by the death of Lori Stodghill, 31, back in 2006. Stodghill was seven months pregnant when she and her children died.
Under Colorado law, the lawyer's claims are legally correct, however they violate the scientific and doctrinal truth that life begins at the moment of conception.
The case has been appealed to the Colorado Supreme Court and lawyers have promised not to raise the argument in defense of the hospital because of its inherently false implications.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?