Church corrects lawyers who claimed fetus not entitled to legal protection - Denver
Lawyers are defending Catholic hospital from wrongful death case involving a mother and her two unborn children.
Catholic Health Initiates and St. Thomas More Hospital have made an important acknowledgement, stating that it was morally wrong for their attorneys to present a defense that violates Catholic teaching. The attorneys claimed in their suit, representing the Catholic institutions, that an unborn child was merely a fetus and not covered under the law.
Lawyers have been corrected after making some rather offensive arguments about children in the womb while representing a Catholic hospital.
The lawyers are defending the hospital from a wrongful death suit brought by the death of Lori Stodghill, 31, back in 2006. Stodghill was seven months pregnant when she and her children died.
Under Colorado law, the lawyer's claims are legally correct, however they violate the scientific and doctrinal truth that life begins at the moment of conception.
The case has been appealed to the Colorado Supreme Court and lawyers have promised not to raise the argument in defense of the hospital because of its inherently false implications.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Man becomes first married Catholic priest in the United States with Vatican blessing
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?