Girl who performed for Obama shot dead in senseless violence - Chicago
High school shphomore shot in back, police have few leads
A young girl who performed at Obama's inauguration just last week has been shot dead in an apparent random act of violence on Tuesday. The girl was shot in the back by a gunman who fired indiscriminately into a group of people at an area park.
Hadiya Pendleton performed for Obama just last week.
In addition to her, an unidentified 16-year-old boy was also wounded but his injuries are not life threatening.
Pendleton was a sophomore at King College Prep High School in Chicago and the week before she traveled with her school band to perform for President Obama during his inauguration ceremonies.
Her family said it was the highlight of her life. But now, a week later, she is dead, gunned down in a random act of senseless violence.
The family said she was a loving big sister to her 10-year old brother, Junior, and that the boy is devastated.
The gunman remains unidentified and at-large. Police only know that he came running down an alley, saw the group of kids and fired into them. After that, he fled in a white car. They do not believe Pendleton was an intended target.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Hadiya Pendleton, Chicago, shot, violence, gun control
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- SHOCKING: Senator says IRS set to pay out $70 million in employee bonuses
- Agents think they'll find out what happened to Jimmy Hoffa - after 40 years
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?