Girl who performed for Obama shot dead in senseless violence - Chicago
High school shphomore shot in back, police have few leads
A young girl who performed at Obama's inauguration just last week has been shot dead in an apparent random act of violence on Tuesday. The girl was shot in the back by a gunman who fired indiscriminately into a group of people at an area park.
In addition to her, an unidentified 16-year-old boy was also wounded but his injuries are not life threatening.
Pendleton was a sophomore at King College Prep High School in Chicago and the week before she traveled with her school band to perform for President Obama during his inauguration ceremonies.
Her family said it was the highlight of her life. But now, a week later, she is dead, gunned down in a random act of senseless violence.
The family said she was a loving big sister to her 10-year old brother, Junior, and that the boy is devastated.
The gunman remains unidentified and at-large. Police only know that he came running down an alley, saw the group of kids and fired into them. After that, he fled in a white car. They do not believe Pendleton was an intended target.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?