Tourists coming to America just to have anchor babies
Problem has spiked in Los Angeles County.
Complaints over the development of a new industry in Los Angeles have skyrocketed as citizens become aware of "birth tourism." Promoted mainly in Asia, women travel to the United States and reside in residential communities long enough to give birth.
The hotels are marketed to women overseas, particularly in Asia, with sales pitches focusing on the benefits of American citizenship, including generous social welfare programs and free education. Women are also advised how to evade authorities and avoid suspicion when they travel. Immigration officials are free to bar entry into the country if they do not believe the stated motive for travel.
The practice of birth tourism is spiking in Los Angeles with 60 "maternity hotels" being reported in the past month alone. Typically, these hotels are just houses nestled in residential neighborhoods. The practice isn't illegal either, leaving L.A. County officials to use zoning codes and other complaints to try and shut down the operations.
However, getting past the door to inspect the facilities is a problem. Inspectors are often forced to stand at locked doors, refused entry by the occupants who simple act like they're not home, although they clearly are. Inspectors cannot enter the houses without permission.
At other homes, the occupants insist they do not speak English, which creates a language barrier than makes it difficult for inspectors to do their work.
So far, the county has only been able to shut down just three of the operations.
For now, city officials are sending Cantonese and Mandarin speaking translators to help and they're going after owners with tax code violations. Unless a law is passed to close the loophole, this will be the best they can do.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Frank Pavone: We Will Obey God Rather Than Men. We Will Not Obey the HHS Mandate
- Duck Dynasty and the GQ Interview of Phil Robertson: Rejecting Political Correctness
- Ninety percent of Americans will celebrate Christmas this year - even 80 percent of non-Christians
- Portraits of Lee and Jackson taken down at college, high school renamed
- The unrelenting 'Gay Mafia' has bullied A&E into suspending 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- Archbishop Nienstedt Voluntary Steps Aside After Allegation, Claims it is Absolutely and Entirely False
- Here Comes Polygamy: Utah Federal Judge Strikes Down Much of the Prohibition against Polygamy
- New York teachers make twice as much as those in South Carolina
- Abortion mill monster Kermit Gosnell gets 30 years
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?