Tourists coming to America just to have anchor babies
Problem has spiked in Los Angeles County.
Complaints over the development of a new industry in Los Angeles have skyrocketed as citizens become aware of "birth tourism." Promoted mainly in Asia, women travel to the United States and reside in residential communities long enough to give birth.
Anchor babies are becoming a booming industry in California.
The hotels are marketed to women overseas, particularly in Asia, with sales pitches focusing on the benefits of American citizenship, including generous social welfare programs and free education. Women are also advised how to evade authorities and avoid suspicion when they travel. Immigration officials are free to bar entry into the country if they do not believe the stated motive for travel.
The practice of birth tourism is spiking in Los Angeles with 60 "maternity hotels" being reported in the past month alone. Typically, these hotels are just houses nestled in residential neighborhoods. The practice isn't illegal either, leaving L.A. County officials to use zoning codes and other complaints to try and shut down the operations.
However, getting past the door to inspect the facilities is a problem. Inspectors are often forced to stand at locked doors, refused entry by the occupants who simple act like they're not home, although they clearly are. Inspectors cannot enter the houses without permission.
At other homes, the occupants insist they do not speak English, which creates a language barrier than makes it difficult for inspectors to do their work.
So far, the county has only been able to shut down just three of the operations.
For now, city officials are sending Cantonese and Mandarin speaking translators to help and they're going after owners with tax code violations. Unless a law is passed to close the loophole, this will be the best they can do.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: maternety hotels, anchor babies, women, birth, tourism
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?