Obamacare will fail primary goal - Denver
Economists say millions will remain uninsured.
Obamacare will fail its primary objective, according to MIT economists and Colorado officials who say the law will leave at last 400,000 Coloradoans still uninsured. The law takes full effect next January and was touted as a way to provide health care for the uninsured.
Some of these will still be needed, even under Obamacare.
The solution is not as comprehensive as originally envisioned.
Next year, most Americans anticipate getting insurance as the law prevents insurers from rejecting people with preexisting conditions, and requiring most Americans to purchase insurance or face a penalty which has been described as a tax.
Low and middle-income earners will be subsidized and those whose premiums would exceed 8 percent of their income are exempt. This leaves a sliver of people, which will total millions nationwide, who remain without insurance.
However, women who want contraceptives or abortions, will find those freely available, insurance or no.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Obamacare, health, insurance, exchanges, states, compliance
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?