Cal State system gets millions, students will see zero
New money comes into the system as students have been hit with hikes and cuts.
The California State University Board of Trustees is meeting through Wednesday to decide how to spend $125 million dollars in new funding for the 23-campuses in the CSU system. Governor Brown has already said he has a few ideas.
Students protest cuts and hikes in the CSU system. Despite the pain caused to students, it is unlikely they will see rebates or reduced tuition.
The CSU Board of Trustees has blamed state spending cuts for much of the need for class cuts and tuition hikes. Those developments have sparked student protests.
Students may hope to see some relief from higher tuition, however there's no suggestion that students will see rebates or even freezes on future tuition costs as the system contemplates what to do with its millions.
Gov. Jerry Brown has proposed spending $10 million on providing online courses for students, saying such courses can save the system millions in the long-run.
The Cal State Online system, which was unveiled earlier this month, is especially targeted to students who need just a few classes or less to graduate.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?