Today's school shooting was in Taft, CA
Likely to fuel drive for more anti-gun policies
Two people were shot in the latest school shooting, this time in Taft, Calif., about 90 miles north of Los Angeles. There were no fatalities.
Taft Union High School was the site of today's school shooting.
Another victim was airlifted by helicopter to a hospital.
The Kern County Sheriff's Department reports that a suspect was taken into custody and students were evacuated safely. Students were released from classes to their parents from both the high school and neighboring Lincoln Jr. High School following sweeps by law enforcement to ensure student safety.
Taft is normally a quiet, conservative community built around the local oil industry and a nearby correctional facility.
The shooting is the latest in a rash of incidents that has President Obama, and others focused on gun violence.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Taft, school shooting, gun violence, control, Obama, Lincoln, Taft Union High School
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?