School officials bribed by free lunches - Chicago
Inspector finds widespread fraud in CPS system.w
A report from the Chicago Public School's Inspector General has found widespread and systemic fraud in the city's school lunch program. School administrators have also been accused of failing to comply with earlier recommendations.
Free school lunches are for the kids.
Specifically, among other abuses, executives responsible for oversight accepted thousands of dollars worth of gifts from two of the school's largest vendors.
In essence, vendors are bribing school officials for contracts to feed the kids.
The Inspector General has acknowledged that the vendors cannot be replaced with cheaper providers, however the recommendation is to compel them to pay for an independent auditor to ensure that no inappropriate gifts are being exchanged.
So the vendors will remain. There is no word yet if the school administrators, some who are said to be among the highest ranking, will be disciplined.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Chicago Public Schools, free lunch, fraud, gifts, brigery
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?