Police are warning about new cell phone scam - and this one's not an urban legend - Chicago
Kids stealing cell phones in Chicago area.
Police are warning Chicago residents of a new cell-phone scam that's leaving people without their phones. Although the operation is not particularly sophisticated, a string of robberies has police on the lookout.
Expensive cell phones are likely targets, however any phone is subject to theft.
The scam reportedly works in two ways. In the first, a scammer finds a victim who has left their cell phone at the edge of a table. The scammer approaches the victim and places a flier on the table, soliciting donations for a youth basketball team.
While soliciting, the scammer picks up the phone under the flyer and exits the restaurant.
In the second version of the scam, one person simply asks a waiter for a glass of water and while staff are distracted, they snatch a vulnerable phone and run. Not particularly sophisticated.
The scammers have been seen getting into a tan sedan.
Police ask victims not to pursue the robbers, but simply to call 911.
Meanwhile, watch where you leave your phone!
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: cell phone scam, theft, Chicago
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Lowest of the low: Man steals 92-year-old man's glasses and Bible in Manhattan
- SHOCKING COURTROOM VIDEO: Nevada woman arrested by same Marshall she says sexually assaulted her
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?