Aurora theater victims proclaim memorial insensitive - Denver
Cinemark blasted by families.
Victims of the Aurora movie theater shooting where 12 people died and 58 others were injured are boycotting a memorial event at the theater, calling it "insensitive."
Relatives say the theater is insensitive because the invitation is the first communication they have received from Cinemark, which is based in Plano, Texas.
The theater where the shooting has occurred has been renovated with the room where it happened being converted into an XD theater with a wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling screen.
According to Cinemark area residents say they want the theater to reopen, which has been closed since the shooting. Cinemark plans to reopen the theater on Jan. 17, but not until after a memorial is held for the victims.
Several families have filed lawsuits against Cinemark, citing lax security and a quest for profits as part of the problem. In a response to the invitations, a letter signed by 12 relatives of the victims says, [Thank you] "for reminding us how your quest for profits has blinded your leadership and made you so callous as to be oblivious to our mental anguish."
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?