Teen computer genuis busted for busting neighbors - Los Angeles
Swatting teen caught.
A boy-genius has been arrested for "swatting" several celebrities and possibly businesses in the Los Angeles area. Swatting is a type of cybercrime that endangers lives and bullies people.
Perp in custody, these guys can now sleep at night.
Swatting is a type of cybercrime where a caller uses a computer to call 911 to report a dangerous situation that requires rapid deployment of a SWAT team.
The caller's voice and phone number are disguised. In at least one incident, the call appeared to originate within the victim's own home.
In the current case, detectives say they have arrested a teenage boy who appears to have very advanced computer skills. The teen has been connected to several high-profile swatting incidents.
Swatting calls require the skilled use of a computer and special software such as that used by the deaf to make calls. Swatting first emerged as a prank played by small-time hackers who wanted to bully others. However, several high-profile incidents involving celebrity figures have brought swatting to national attention.
Aside from initiating a false 911 call, swatting requires a swift, usually armed response. That response can cost thousands of dollars and endanger lives.
At least one officer has been injured while responding to a swatting incident earlier in the year.
While no charges have been filed yet, they are likely pending. It is hoped this brings an end to the swatting incidents in Los Angeles.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Internet, prank, swatting, LAPD, SWAT, arrest
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- SHOCKING: Senator says IRS set to pay out $70 million in employee bonuses
- Agents think they'll find out what happened to Jimmy Hoffa - after 40 years
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?