Historic church with saintly ties may be demolished - Philadelphia
Church has structural problems and its private owner is worried about liability.
A Philadelphia church set for demolition has received a stay of execution from the city's Licenses and Inspections Review Board. The Church of the Assumption on Spring Garden Street is due to be demolished.
The beautiful Church of the Assumption is set for demolition.
Throughout the decades, the church fell into disuse and disrepair. It was eventually acquired by John Wei, who said he would preserve the structure, but later changed his mind.
Wei originally planned the convert the church to apartments, but the city did not approve his permit for structural reasons. After that, Wei decided to demolish the church to protect himself from liability.
The fate of the church will be reviewed on Jan. 8, and it may yet be demolished.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: John Wei, church, Neumann, demolished, Church of the Assumption
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?