Malibu solves whale of a problem - Los Angeles
Homeowner's association cuts Gordian knot with tug boat.
Whales are beautiful creatures, or at least that's what Malibu residents learned last week when a 40-foot fin whale washed up on their beach. Of course, seeing such a sight was also sad, as the whale had perished.
Residents came out to see the carcass, despite the stench.
The corpse and its attendant stench was decidedly out of place for the homes and playgrounds of so many well-to-do residents and vacationers.
All agreed the corpse had to be removed, but just how to dispose of the corpse became an issue. The city looked to the county and the county looked to the state. Eventually it was unclear just who was responsible and how it would be done.
Discussion of a tug boat, burial, cutting the beast into pieces and even burning the corpse came up.
However, nobody could come to a mutually agreeable solution.
Mother Nature, however, had her own solution, even if it is a bit slow by modern standards. Seagulls and other animals went to work on the carcass, which after a few days no longer looked much like a whale.
Finally, over the weekend, a local homeowners association came to the rescue. The association ignored the ruling by the government that towing the carcass out to sea would be unfeasible, and did just that.
Hiring a tug boat, the whale was towed about 20 miles offshore and left to sink to the bottom of the ocean.
Authorities say that should be the last of it, and residents are grateful they can open their windows to the fresh air, one again.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Malibu, whale, tug boat, fin whale
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?