Voters approve streetcar line - Los Angeles
Streetcars expected to alleviate congestion.
Streetcars are coming back to downtown L.A. after voters approved a $125 million measure this week to install a streetcar line in the downtown area. The line is an effort to create an automobile-optional area in the heart of Los Angeles.
Streetcars once moved along the streets of Los Angeles until the 1960's.
In many major cities, such as San Francisco and New York, commuters can get around without the need for a car. Los Angeles is unusual in that respect because automobile commutes are virtually required because of the city's sprawling, horizontal nature.
This has also caused the city to become famously congested and polluted.
As the population of the city continues to rise, planners are now becoming more open to solutions that alleviate such problems.
In addition to the streetcar line, a $1.3 billion subway line is also planned to help link Pasadena and East L.A. with Long Beach and Culver City.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Los Angeles, mass transit, streetcars
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?