Fines from broken parking meters bring millions to city - Los Angeles
City will continue to enforce fines at broken meters.
Motorists be warned, there will be no free parking in LA, at least not a busted parking meters. The City Council voted Wednesday to enforce traffic fines for people who park at broken meters.
New parking meters allow drivers to pay with their credit cards causing people without change to break them less.
The vote is in opposition to state law, which permits parking at broken meters. Under that law, motorists may park at a broken meter for the maximum time allowed by the meter.
City officials fear that allowing free parking at broken meters would encourage vandalism, as a few unscrupulous drivers deliberately break meters to get free parking. They added that vandalism is down significantly now that parking at broken meters result in tickets.
However, meters with wireless connectivity are now being installed across the city. Those meters tell operators when they malfunction, allowing rapid repair. Officials say most meters are fixed within a few hours of malfunctioning.
Officials also say they will put stickers on meters that notify the public if they will be ticketed for parking at broken meters.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?