Fines from broken parking meters bring millions to city - Los Angeles
City will continue to enforce fines at broken meters.
Motorists be warned, there will be no free parking in LA, at least not a busted parking meters. The City Council voted Wednesday to enforce traffic fines for people who park at broken meters.
New parking meters allow drivers to pay with their credit cards causing people without change to break them less.
The vote is in opposition to state law, which permits parking at broken meters. Under that law, motorists may park at a broken meter for the maximum time allowed by the meter.
City officials fear that allowing free parking at broken meters would encourage vandalism, as a few unscrupulous drivers deliberately break meters to get free parking. They added that vandalism is down significantly now that parking at broken meters result in tickets.
However, meters with wireless connectivity are now being installed across the city. Those meters tell operators when they malfunction, allowing rapid repair. Officials say most meters are fixed within a few hours of malfunctioning.
Officials also say they will put stickers on meters that notify the public if they will be ticketed for parking at broken meters.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Parking, fines, meters
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?