DAILY SUNSHINE: Secret Santa hands out $100,000 to storm victims
Anonymous donor hopes to set an example for others.
A Secret Santa made the rounds of New York last week handing out crisp, new $100 bills to victims of Superstorm Sandy. Many of the lucky recipients were residents on Staten Island who lost almost everything.
Many people had lost everything and were still living with friends and family.
The holiday season is especially hard on area residents who were heavily impacted by Superstorm Sandy. Many can barely provide for themselves and have no shelter of their own. The money allows some victims who are hungry to enjoy a hot meal and perhaps buy gifts for their children.
The benefactor told reporters that he planned to distribute some $100,000 in hundred dollar bills to storm victims. He explained that money wasn't the point however, but rather setting an example in a time of need.
"It\'s about the random acts of kindness. I\'m just setting an example, and if 10 percent of the people who see me emulate what I\'m doing, anybody can be a Secret Santa!\" he said.
Many people were incredulous at first, worried they might be victims of a prank or the money might be fake, but they were assured, the gift was real.
For a thousand people in New York and New Jersey, the holiday season just got a tiny bit brighter thanks to one Secret Santa.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?