DAILY SUNSHINE: Secret Santa hands out $100,000 to storm victims
Anonymous donor hopes to set an example for others.
A Secret Santa made the rounds of New York last week handing out crisp, new $100 bills to victims of Superstorm Sandy. Many of the lucky recipients were residents on Staten Island who lost almost everything.
A recipient holds up a Secret Santa bill.
Many people had lost everything and were still living with friends and family.
The holiday season is especially hard on area residents who were heavily impacted by Superstorm Sandy. Many can barely provide for themselves and have no shelter of their own. The money allows some victims who are hungry to enjoy a hot meal and perhaps buy gifts for their children.
The benefactor told reporters that he planned to distribute some $100,000 in hundred dollar bills to storm victims. He explained that money wasn't the point however, but rather setting an example in a time of need.
"It\'s about the random acts of kindness. I\'m just setting an example, and if 10 percent of the people who see me emulate what I\'m doing, anybody can be a Secret Santa!\" he said.
Many people were incredulous at first, worried they might be victims of a prank or the money might be fake, but they were assured, the gift was real.
For a thousand people in New York and New Jersey, the holiday season just got a tiny bit brighter thanks to one Secret Santa.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Secret Santa, Staten Island, $100, Superstorm Sandy
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- SHOCKING: Senator says IRS set to pay out $70 million in employee bonuses
- Agents think they'll find out what happened to Jimmy Hoffa - after 40 years
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?