PETA sues eatery for serving banned delicacy - Los Angeles
Subtle difference, eatery claims delicacy is served, but not sold.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is suing a Hermosa Beach eatery for serving a banned delicacy. The restaurant attempted to skirt the law by changing the name of the offering, according to PETA.
However, Hot's Kitchen in Hermosa Beach is still serving foie gras according to PETA. The restaurant simply changed the name of the meal from "Foie Gras Burger" to "THE Burger" and still serves the foie gras on the side.
This has PETA and other animal advocates upset.
Hot's Kitchen does not dispute that they sell the delicacy, but contends that their foie gras is humanely produced. The parent company of Hot's Kitchen, Hot's Restaurant Group, is suing along with foie gras producers to get an injunction against the law, arguing that it is too vague.
Last July a manager for the restaurant said the law does not prohibit the serving of the delicacy, only the selling of it. Since it is served on the side, rather than sold, they claim the practice is legal.
Naturally, this is not what the law intends, however it may promote the claim that the law itself is too vague to enforce.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?