Fired on his day off, MS victim challenges pot-based dismassal - Denver
Case questions what employers can dismiss employees over.
The Colorado Court of Appeals must soon decide if it was legal for Dish Network to fire an employee who smoked medically prescribed marijuana while off duty.
Coats is confined to a wheelchair and lost his job for using marijuana to treat his MMS symptoms.
Coats says his use of the drug was legal based on a prescription from a doctor. Coats has MS and uses the drug to fight symptoms of the disease.
The case boils down to if a business has the ability to fire an employee who does something legal while off the clock.
Several businesses have a zero-tolerance drug policy. Other agencies, such as religious employers, may have morality clauses in their contracts.
The case is now more prominent owing to the state's Amendment 64, which allows limited possession and use of marijuana by adults.
While some activities are certainly legal and outside of an employer's purview, attorneys for Dish Network argue that because marijuana is still illegal under federal law, it remains within their right to dismiss an employee who consumes the drug at any time.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Pot, Amendment 64, case, Dish Network, Brandon Coats
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?