U.S. rushes warships to Israel
Ships on stand-by to evacuate Americans.
The U.S. has sent warships to stand by off the coast of Israel, should Americans need to evacuate the region. Despite this move, officials say there is only a small chance they will be needed for an evacuation.
The USS Iwo Jima is now stationed of the coast of Israel, waiting to evacuate Americans if needed.
Officials stress they think the possibility is remote, however they describe the move as "due diligence."
They also stressed the ships were not intended for any combat role and that the U.S. would not enter the hostilities in any capacity.
The ships sent to Israel are the USS Iwo Jima, the USS New York, and the USS Gunston Hall. The ships were outside of the Mediterranean last week, but as hostilities began between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza strip, an order was given to send the ships back toward Israel.
This was bad news for the 2,500 sailors and families involved, who had previously planned to return just after Thanksgiving. Now their plans are on hold as the conflict resolves itself.
The U.S. Navy maintains a strategic presence in the Mediterranean and keeps ships ready in the event of crisis. For several months, a small U.S. fleet has taken up station off the coast of Israel to help protect the country from a possible ballistic missile attack from Iran.
Truce negotiations are under way and both sides are being pressured to halt the conflict. The current spat began when Israel targeted and killed the overall military commander for Hamas, prompting retaliation. Hamas has since fired hundreds of rockets into Israel, and Israel has responded with a sweeping series of airstrikes designed to neutralize Hamas rocket capability.
Scores of civilians, particularly in Gaza, have been killed by the strikes.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Israel, Gaza, Palestine, Palestinian, Egypt, Navy, ships, Iwo Jima
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?