Guest Opinion: America's Short History: Are We Nearing The End?
The American dream is dying.
Throughout history, nations have been constructed and nations have fallen. America is still new. Is the time coming for America?
When America began, our founding fathers wished to form the best country. They built the laws around morals and best way to make things work. Nothing made by men can be perfect, but these men tried their best. America has been known for many years as the greatest country.
Everyone wanted to come to America because they believed it would be a place where they could find work and freedom. Our country was originally filled with people who wanted to work for themselves and be free of grasping government. They rebelled against the King and declared that they would be independent. They defined the American dream.
Nowadays, this is what we look like: People are lazy. Too many people rely solely on welfare money which they did not earn for themselves. More and more people don't want to get jobs. Instead of rebelling against grasping powers, people want more. Each of these faults keep leading to more and more problems. The American dream is dying.
First, with more people relying on welfare to pay their debts, the economy is suffering. People who work are taxed. People who don't work get welfare money. Because they can live off of welfare, they stop working. Since there are less workers, the people who do work are taxed more. Hence, a cycle is formed and the economy continues on a downward slope.
Second, less people are even bothering to try and get jobs. Because of this, the economy falls short and has to close more jobs. Then, there are less jobs for people looking for them. However, there are certain jobs which will never run out, such as farming and constructing work. Still, though, the economy will not pick up until the people's work ethic does.
Third, with more controlling powers, there is less people can do. Many years ago, people could get jobs just by finding someone who needed help and was willing to hire them. Nowadays, a person needs to get licenses if they want a job, not even necessarily a good one. Also, with education, the control over everything increases while the efficiency drops. Businesses cannot always function to the best of their abilities because of too much control. Livestock production losing so much of its benefit because of the ridiculous laws being forced on the breeders. See the movie Food Inc. for more on that. Yet, people are still persisting to vote for more control.
All in all, people have lost sight of the American dream. Some of the visible results are obvious: people are gaining weight because they are lazy; education standards are falling because the children follow the adults laziness; the jobs market is falling because people are lazy. All of these lead to one thing: the fall of our great nation.
What more is there to say? All nations fall after time. However, why are we choosing for America to fall sooner rather than later? WHY? Lazy is not a good excuse. We are told that we are moving forward. Sadly, it looks like forward is toward the end.
All of this turmoil in our world should not bring you down, though. The only one stopping you from standing up would be you. This is how I make my stand. What will you do?
Just remember this: Never give up faith. Never lose hope. Never, never, never, never!
Our Lady of Perpetual Help, pray for us!
God bless America, the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Nikolai Brelinsky lives in North Carolina. He attends Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church in Rocky Mount. He is a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol cadet program. Nikolai plans on possibly going to college in the future. He is a home-schooled high school student.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: America, opinion, American dream, political
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Gay youths to be allowed to join Boy Scouts: Controversy rages
- Bridge that collapsed in Washington State was structurally unsound
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?