When I Was in the Womb: We Must Not Retreat in Building a Culture of Life
14th amendment protections are applied to our smallest neighbors. The work of the growing number of Christian lawyers, in the myriad of public interest law firms and associations, needs to continue. It is a great help in our task.
However, when Roe does fall - and it will fall - our work only begins. We have a new culture of life to build and we must lay the foundation stones right now - not retreat. Not just for our own sake but for the sake of the Nation we live in and the world into which we are sent to continue the redemptive mission of our Lord.
The truth concerning the humanity of children in the womb - and derived from that - the recognition of their fundamental human right to life can and will win the debate. That is because truth is written on every human heart by the Natural Law. It obligates us to do justice and binds us together in its pursuit.
A growing number of Americans recognize that without the right to life and the freedom to be born there are no other rights. In fact, the infrastructure of human rights itself is placed at risk when the Right to Life is denied. The constituional law work in the Courts must continue and we must support the advocates doing it.
This work includes the criminal as well as constitutional law. As a former prosecutor, I see the trend of the double prosecution of criminals for two homicides when, in the course of a crime against a mother, they also kill the child in her womb, as a positive development. When a child in the womb is killed, along with her mother, through an act of negligence, we properly prosecute for both vehicular homicides. We need to use the inherent logic this criminal law reveals in our apologetic.It is obvious to anyone. We must also promote this growing recognition in the criminal law of the evil of killing a child.
We must not be afraid of making Natural Law arguments in our Pro-Life work. They are essential. they are also our most powerful weapon in a culture which has forgotten God. That is because they reveal the law of God written on every human heart, even the hearts of those who deny His existence. However, we also need to learn to make them well. One does not have to have any religious faith to recognize the truth concerning the dignity of every human life. It is revealed by a Natural law which can be known by all men and women through the exercise of reason.
The Promethean Argument
The last argument left for those who oppose the fundamental Human Right to life is a promethean notion of freedom as the raw power of the strong over the weak. It will not stand because it is so patently wrong and profoundly anti-American. It certainly does not sound "liberal" or "progressive" does it? We need to point out this utter hypocrisy of the movement calling itself "Pro-Choice" as often as we can.We must expose the Orwellian language they use. It is never a moral choice to kill our neighbor in the womb. Truth has an amazing power within it to bring about personal and societal change. I believe that it is doing just that on so many fronts concerning the humanity of the child in the womb and no election result can stop that momentum. However, it is up to us to keep contending for the truth!
It is a tactic, a ploy of our opponents, to characterize the pro-life position as only a "religious" position. Our adversaries do so in an effort to undermine and marginalize the implications of the truth of our position. They want to keep us confined in our Church buildings when we make our arguments - through wielding a misinterpretation of the First Amendment to the US Constitution. We cannot let that tactic go unopposed. Our position is a human rights position. Yes, for those in our movement who are Christians, it is informed by our faith. However, it is also true for those who do not believe. All of us are obligated by a common moral code which can be known through the exercise of reason and has always informed our life together. At its foundation os the prohibition of killing the innocent.
Be Wary of Political Labels
We must remember that the Pro-Life position is not "conservative" or "liberal", or simply "religious" - at least in the sense of a position confined to religious people. "Pro- Life" is a human rights position that can be - and increasingly is being- held by many types of diverse people.This is because it is just and true. Please understand, as a Christian, I both believe - and proclaim - that this truth is confirmed by Revelation. However, in a culture which has rejected the authority of either the Scriptures or the Church, it is hard to make an argument based on that authority.
Similarly, the claim ...
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: abortion, Obama, Culture of Life, Civilization of love, activism, Gospel of Life, activism, Nehemiah Wall, Deacon Keith Fournier
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Lowest of the low: Man steals 92-year-old man's glasses and Bible in Manhattan
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?