Time to Build a Tower: Obama Reelection Requires a Movement for Life, Family, Freedom and Solidarity
implement the mandate of the 25th chapter of Matthews Gospel and reach out into the culture with the love of Jesus - as he reveals himself in the poor and the needy.
The HHS mandate, through which the Affordable Care Act will be enforced, places us in the position of having to disobey Caesar or violate our deeply held religious beliefs. We will not comply. We will not fund sterilizations and abortion inducing contraceptives. We will engage, if necessary, in civil disobedience.
Like the fate of the social outreaches of the Church which place children without mothers and fathers in homes for adoption, her hospitals, soup kitchens, and other vital outreaches to the poor are now at risk of being shut down.
We will not stop our missionary efforts because solidarity demands that we continue. We are called to love the world as God so loved the world. As the Body of Christ, we continue the redemptive mission of Jesus our Head. This administration which purports to be an advocate of the "least of these", may soon be revealed as more akin to a hostile Caesar.
What the results of this Presidential election require is a new movement dedicated to authentic social justice, rightly understood - and not some counterfeit. We need a true human rights movement which is authentically ecumenical and unapologetically dedicated to life, family, freedom and solidarity.
We must use every legal means at our disposal to oppose the administration when it violates fundamental human rights such as the Rights to Life and Religious Freedom or fails to protect marriage and the family.
We must find the means to assist the Church as she pursues her mission of caring for the poor and the needy in all of their manifestations without government aid - if receiving such aid requires that she compromise what cannot be compromised.
We must be willing to commit acts of civil disobedience when defending authentic social justice and human rights requires it. Our task will require heroic men and women willing to face those consequences - and a lots of good lawyers ready to defend them.
We must lay out the parts. We must build a tower. We must raise up a movement.
We need a tower from which we can shout out the liberating truth to an age which has succumbed to many lies. A tower from which we can see the field of struggle which lies before us and chart the course truly forward to a future of authentic human freedom and flourishing.
I close by sharing the words proclaimed by Blessed John Paul II as he began his service to the Church and the world into which she is sent, "Be Not Afraid."
Take time today to pray for our Nation. Pray for the President, that he may undergo a genuine conversion on the matters which we know are vital to our future as a truly free people. It can happen!
Then, let us pray for one another, that we may all remain strong and become courageous in the struggle which lies ahead.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Obama wins, Romney loses, campaign 2012, Catholic Action, Right to life, pro-Life, pro-Marriage, gay marriage, common good, human rights, civil disobedience, solidarity, Keith A Fournier
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?