Anti-Life terrorist sentenced, forgiven
Man threatened to kill Fr. Pavone and others.
A self-described "pro-choice terrorist" has been sentenced to almost 4 years in prison for plotting to kill pro-life advocates Fr. Frank Pavone and Princeton University's Robert George. Theodore Shulman threatened to attack and harm the men on his blog in January 2010.
He also made a number of statements of his intent, including a claim that if Scott Roeder, a man who killed the abortion doctor George Tiller, were to be acquitted, then Pavone and George would be killed.
Shulman ran a very militant blog site where he routinely advocated the use of violence to suppress and intimidate prominent members of the right-to-life community.
Fr. Pavone told LifeSiteNews in an interview that he has forgiven Shulman and that he prays for the man every day. He added, "I also renew, with my friend Bill Baird, known as the Father of the Pro-Choice movement, the joint statement we made years ago rejecting hatred and violence in word and deed between those on opposite sides of the abortion issue."
It must be understood that the threat of violence, and violent acts, including murder, are deeply and morally wrong. This is what makes abortion so abhorrent. However, vigilante murder, even in the name of life, is also morally wrong.
The path forward should not be fraught with threats and intimidation, but rather it should be straightened by education, understanding, and love.
Ft. Pavone has set the standard, by publicly forgiving and praying for his tormentor. We should all follow this call and forgive and pray for Shulman, in the hopes that he too can come to a knowledge of the truth concerning the dignity of every human life and the call to compassion while abandoning the way of evil and death.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Man becomes first married Catholic priest in the United States with Vatican blessing
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?